Monday, July 09, 2007

Finally - a planting!

After months of digging and pulling, a torn rotator cuff (shoulder tendon), sparing use of weed killer and a heck of a lot of swearing, we decided the time had come to stop ripping stuff out of the ground and start putting stuff back in.
Our block is technically bush, but a good 40% of the foliage is imported pests such as blackberry, cotoneaster, montbretia and holly. And typically, while our native trees have such shallow root systems you just have to look at them and they fall over, all the imports have roots that seem to go to the centre of the Earth. Phil spent several backbreaking hours digging up a tree stump and I have spent more time than I care to recall painstakingly removing Montbretia bulbs.
But now we have about 20 young natives to plant which will hopefully bear lots of gorgeous flowers, attract lots of birds and keep Treetops looking treetopsey.

No comments: